Who doesn’t like Roast pork cracklings? Hubby made a very simple Chinese roast pork crackling. It’s very basic it cracks me up!
Making pork crackle seems to be a difficult task. The problem in cooking pork crackling is ending up with a leathery pork skin (which is hardly a crackle); or maybe having a really crunchy skin but then, compromising on the taste of the pork meats being too dry. Thinking about the hassle and effort of it all makes me just want to buy it from the nearest Asian restaurant at our place.
Good thing, we can now make a decent pork crackling at home! Nyom! Nyom!! Crunch! Crunch!
It takes a bit of cooking time in the oven; but it’s all worth the wait. On the other hand, since you’ll be using the oven, you can do a little multi-tasking as you wait. You can do a few chores or watch your favorite tele-novela while the pork cooks. Just make sure you’re timer is well set.
This Chinese roast pork goes well with rice and some stir-fry veggies. It’s also a fine topping to a noodle dish. More so, this tasty pork will be a good pair with an iced cold beer. Do you have a gathering at home? Try this on your guest and see how they would love you even more!
Here’s how we cook Chinese roast pork with crackling at home.
Roast Pork Crackling recipe
- 1 kg Pork belly
- 8 cloves Garlic crushed
- 12 tsp Five spice powder or enough to cover the entire meat
- ½ 1 cup Salt enough to cover the skin of the pork belly
- 1 cooking tray and 1 wire rack
- Water Add some 45mins in the cooking time for every additional 1 kilo of pork)
- Pre heat oven at 180-185c (depending on the oven). Our oven is a bit old; you may need to assess the capacity of your own oven.
- Place water on an oven pan. Put this pan on the bottom part of the oven. (The pork will be roasted on a wire rack above this tray. See further instructions below.)
- Dry the pork with paper towel.
- Make a slit around the side of the pork and insert the crushed garlic. Make sure that you make it deep enough so that the garlic will not be pushed out while the pork is cooking.
- (Don't make the same mistake that we did. Notice in the photo below that the garlic was pushed out when the meat was being roasted.)
- Rub the pork belly with the five spice powder except on the skin.
- Layer the skin of the pork with salt. Make sure it is evenly placed.
- Place the pork belly on a wire rack and put on the middle rack of the oven.
- Wait for 1 hour. After one hour, you will notice that the salt will form into a crust. Once crusted, remove the salt and turn up the oven to 240-245C. Also, check if you need to add water in the pan.
- Roast the pork for another 35-40 minutes until the crackling is formed.
- Remove the pork and sit for 5 minutes.
- Cut into desired size and serve.
- See more Filipino Recipes here
Tips and tricks to make Pork Crackling
The roast should be thawed and removed from its packaging. The rind can be scored with a small sharp knife in a random pattern of 1cm intervals. Be careful not to cut into the meat during this process. The rind should be left uncovered in the fridge for at least an hour, preferably overnight. This will help crackling. Once you are ready to cook the roast, you can peel and core the apples and place them in boiling water to soften them.
After removing the roast from its packaging, you can begin preparing the crackling. You should first salt the skin. Adding salt to the skin before roasting will prevent it from sticking to the roast pan. The fat should be rendered down in the cooking process so that the crackling can take place. Meanwhile, you can cook the pork on a rack in a hot oven. After 1 hour, remove the rind from the pork and place it on a plate.
The roasting process begins with a thick layer of fat. It adds flavor and moisture to the meat during the cooking process. It can also be rendered down easily. Leaving it uncovered in the fridge overnight or for an hour before cooking will help in crackling. Be careful not to leave the roast in the fridge for long periods. The longer the rind is left, the more crackling the meat will form. You can use boiling water to soften the skin once it is ready to cook.
Before roasting the pork, you should salt the skin. The salt will help the skin to dry out. The crackling should be roasted for about half an hour at 350 degrees. For 1 hour, turn the roast upside down and place it in the oven. As the roast is done, serve with crackling and apple sauce. The meat and the crackling are a match made in heaven! The perfect pairing! You’ll have a mouthwatering meal.
Once the meat is tender, prepare the sauce. The roasting sauce should be served with apple sauce. The crackling and apple sauce are a match made in heaven. Using a serrated knife, slice the crackling into strips. After the roasting process, the crackling is ready for serving. If you have a big family, serve the pork with the apple syrup and apple sauce. Once again, the meat should be tender and moist.
Free-range pork has a thick layer of fat that keeps the meat moist while it cooks. Its flavor comes from this layer of fat. While the fat is good for you, it will not add much to your dish. If you’re looking to enjoy crackling with your dinner, you should give it a try. There are a variety of ways to make this snack. It can be used as a snack or for a side dish.
You can add the crackling when you roast the pork. Simply place it in the oven and bake it for 20 to 25 minutes. You can also serve it with apple sauce. These two dishes are like heaven for pork lovers. Its crackling is crisp, crispy, and delicious. In addition, it is delicious for any occasion. If you’re planning to serve the pork, enjoy. It will make the perfect complement to any meal.
To make the crackling, prepare the roast pork. Start by putting the roast in the center of the oven. It should be roasted at 350° for at least 30 minutes. When the meat is cooked, it should be a minimum of 160 degrees. To serve, slice it and serve with apple sauce. It is a salty-sweet match made in heaven. You can purchase jarred apple sauce at the store or make it yourself.