Wanna’ be a hit in your next gathering? Try this easy Cajun shrimp dish and pair it with its very own Cajun rice. The simple word to describe it is just yum.
With some shrimps, rice, a couple of spices and a good bottle of white wine, you can serve this restaurant-quality meal to your family and friends. As far as my palate is concerned, this aromatic recipe is very much comparable to the Cajun dishes served at Friday’s and Chilli’s. Yumm!! In terms of cooking time, it doesn’t take much. Cooking the shrimps takes just a few minutes in the pan. The short grain rice cooks relatively quick, as well. Say, about 20 minutes give or take some 5 ones. It’s an easy recipe that I am absolutely recommending to the homemakers who love easy dishes, flavourful spices and the hot stuff. You can also do this dish with chicken. Let’s talk about that in a separate post.
Cajun spice is a combination of various herbs and spices. There’s paprika, cumin, garlic powder, black pepper, onion powder, dried thyme and oregano. Fortunately, you don’t have to buy packs of these spices to cook Cajun shrimp and rice. We used store-bought Cajun mix for this recipe and it works just fine. It makes life so much easier.
Here’s the recipe on how CookingLikeAPro cook Cajun shrimps and rice at home.
Cajun Shrimp with Cajun Rice
- ½ kg Shrimps deveined
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tsp Garlic minced
- 2 tbsp Butter
- ⅓ cup White wine (We used Muscato)
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- Lemon zest
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Freshly ground pepper
- Parsley chopped
- 1 litre Chicken stock (5 cups)
- 2 cups Short grain rice
- 1 cup Onions chopped
- ½ cup Celery chopped
- ½ cup Bell pepper chopped
- 1 ½ tsp Dried basil
- ½ tsp Sweet paprika
- ½ tsp Ground chili or cayenne pepper, ½ tsp
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 4 cloves Garlic 4 , minced
- Butter at least 80-100 grams (add more for flavours, if preferred)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Freshly ground pepper
- In a medium heat sauce pan (or pot), sauté butter, onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic for about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining spices and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add rice.
- Sauté until the rice is slightly brown and had mixed well with the spices.
- Add the chicken stock. Start with 4 cups of stock into the dish. Some rice requires less liquid to properly cook. Add more, as needed.
- Stir the rice occasionally for 15-20 minutes. You will know it is cooked once the rice is a bit fluffy.
- Season the shrimp with Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper in a deep bowl.
- In a separate pan, add the olive oil in a medium heat.
- Add shrimp and wait for it to be slightly orange (roughly 2-3 minutes). Don’t let it fully cooked. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Using the same pan, sauté the garlic to make it fragrant.
- Melt the butter in the heated pan.
- Add white wine, lemon juice and zest. Let it simmer to allow the alcohol to evaporate.
- Wait for the sauce to thicken a little.
- Add in the shrimps and let it soaked in the sauce for about 30-45 seconds.
- Turn off the stove.
- Serve the shrimp on top of the Cajun rice with some chopped parsley.
Tips and Tricks
To make this recipe, begin by thawing frozen shrimp. Remove any extra liquid, add the Cajun seasoning, and let rest for 10 minutes. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, cooking each side for two to three minutes, then remove them from the pan. Continue the cooking process with the remaining ingredients. Once the shrimp is opaque, serve over rice with garnishes of scallions and parsley.
While you’re cooking the shrimp, brown sugar, vinegar, hot sauce, and cajun seasoning should be brought to a simmer. Stir in the tomatoes and chicken broth until everything is thoroughly combined. Sprinkle on black pepper and sprinkle with a little salt. Toss in the shrimp and serve with the rice. This dish is excellent served with warm crusty bread and a side of salad greens. It’s also a great addition to tacos or pasta.
When cooking the shrimp, be sure to use medium-size shrimp. If you don’t have large-sized shrimp, adjust the cooking time accordingly. Add the Holy Trinity of Cajun Cuisine: celery, onion, and green bell pepper. For a lighter version of this recipe, substitute chicken broth with equal parts of water. If you don’t have Tabasco, substitute Tapatio. It lacks the tangy flavor of Tabasco.
In order to make this dish, you should use medium-sized shrimp. If you can’t find medium-sized shrimp, use small-sized shrimp. Otherwise, adjust the cooking time accordingly. Be sure to add the Holy Trilogy of Cajun Cuisine, onions, and green bell pepper. You can also replace chicken broth with equal parts of chicken stock. If you prefer, you can also substitute Tapatio for Tabasco. Just make sure to adjust the amount of tapatio to taste.
For the best results, cook the shrimp until opaque. It will take about 10 minutes to prepare medium-sized shrimp. You can also use small shrimp, but make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly. If you can’t find medium-sized shrimp, you can use any other size. Try to find one that suits your taste. If you don’t have a large enough skillet, you can make this recipe using equal portions of chicken stock.
This Cajun shrimp recipe should be served with warm crusty bread. For the most authentic Cajun taste, use medium-sized shrimp, but if you don’t find them, you can use small-sized shrimp. Be sure to add the Holy Trinity of Louisiana cuisine: onion, celery, and green bell pepper. You can substitute a chicken stock for the chicken broth. If you don’t like Tabasco, you can substitute Tapatio.
This Cajun shrimp recipe is made with a combination of brown sugar, onion, bell pepper, garlic, and Cajun spice. It is served with rice and is typically accompanied by warm crusty bread. It is a great option for dinner parties or gatherings with friends. As an appetizer, Cajun shrimp with cassava-flavored rice is an excellent choice. It’s an authentic and delicious appetizer!
For the perfect Cajun shrimp with rice recipe, you should start by cooking shrimp in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the shrimp is translucent, add the bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then, add the Cajun spice and rice, and stir the ingredients well. The rice should be tender and the shrimp should be opaque. Ensure that the rice is cooked well. Adding a couple of slices of crusty bread will make the rice even tastier.